To my sweet Madeleine,
You make me so proud. You are a fighter. You are working so hard with us every day and you are learning so much. There are too many things that I am so proud of to list, but here are a few:
- The other day you said to me, “Having bath is so brave.” You know what? You’re right. You are so very brave, not just during bath time, but every single day.
- After practising for months, you said to me, unprompted, when I touched your cheek, “I don’t like that, mommy.” A small breakthrough that I know was hard for you. I know you will keep fighting every day to use your words when they are difficult to find. I want you to know that we hear you.
- You asked for and ate half a cucumber from my salad. Wow! You also asked for some “yellow” (aka curry) on your rice the other night. You didn’t eat it, but it was in your bowl, in your space, and you touched it with your tongue, twice. You are exploring food, even when it is hard for you. We are amazed every day by your determination.
- You have asked to use the potty three times now, and all three times you were successful. You now sing “Hooray, hooray, hooray for Maddy!” (you can thank your Auntie Lindsay for that one). We are following your lead, because you know you best. You are teaching us so much.
- I asked you the other day if you knew how much I loved you, and you responded, “too much.” I couldn’t stop laughing. You are a funny little girl. We are so impressed with your ability to rebound even after the most difficult times, to show us your happy smile, and make us laugh with your words.
I hope that as you grow, you keep this spirit. As one of my favourite bloggers, Glennon, from Momastery says, “We can do hard things.” We can do them together.