I’ve finished the first half of Maddy’s outfit – ruffled bloomers!
They are a wee bit big, but that gives her some room to grow between now and the hot summer months. I used two tutorials to make these. The starting point was another of Dana’s over at Made: ‘The Perfect Diaper Cover’. I gotta admit, I have to agree that it is pretty perfect. The width of the leg casings is a bit off between the two legs, but you can’t tell at all once they’re on her. I’ll know for next time to be extra careful when on that step.
I wanted to spice up the basic cover with some pretty ruffles, as I’m using the bloomers as part of a two-piece outfit. I used a ruffle butt onesie tutorial from U-create, and added the ruffles before sewing the diaper cover together. I found the tutorial a bit confusing at first, as it provides three ways to do the ruffles. I was attempting to do them with Maddy playing at my feet, and it was just too distracting. When she was napping, and I was better able to focus, the tutorial seemed to be much clearer. I don’t have a serger, so I opted for Option 1, because it was listed as the favourite. I plan on trying Option 2 at some point (and maybe one day, if I’m an especially good girl, Santa will bring me a serger for Christmas).
The only real trouble I had while making these was getting the elastic through one of the leg casings. My fabric was pinched somehow and wouldn’t allow the safety pin through, but I just took the stitching out and re-sewed it.
I’ve just put the pattern pieces together for the top half of this outfit. Finished product coming soon!